Friday 11 September 2009

I can't decide whether you should live or die...

I've had this song in my head for the past few days.

I can't decide
Whether you should live or die

Oh, you'll probably go to heaven

Please don't hang your head and cry

No wonder why

My heart feels dead inside

It's cold and hard and petrified

Lock the doors and close the blinds
We're going for a ride...


Recently I've found that I like Scissor Sisters (or at least their Ta-dah! album).
Their songs have a happy, upbeat feel about them - rhythm-wise anyway. Each song begins with a different rhythm to how it will have, which, for the first time listener (or someone who hasn't heard it for a while), gives it a slight unpredictability.
Their lyrics, on the other hand, have a sarcastic, slightly crazy feel to them while simultaneously being catchy.

It's great!

If you just want to listen to make yourself happy, then you just ignore the lyrics (mostly) and listen to the rhythm; but then you listen to this lyrics, and you could do anything you wanted because you don't care what any thinks anymore. It seems the perfect album for a slightly shady Roaring Twenties -themed party.

There are also more touching songs, like I Might Tell You Tonight:

And I just might say it tonight
I just might say it tonight
I just might tell you tonight
That I love you
And you should stay all my life
...

This song is like a couple waltzing on their roof in the middle of the city, so engrossed in each other that they fail to notice everyone else, moonlight and roses, pianos and sparrows.



There are a couple of song that I don't like on this album: Lights, Transistor, Land of A Thousand Words. They just don't have the same...clarity or panache as the other songs, and Lights is just the teeniest bit dreary.


I think I would give this album a 4/5 (or 8/10, if you'd prefer).
If these were the bad guys in a movie, you'd be rooting for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment